The Impacts of Identity Fraud
- They could steal your wallet or bag and thereby obtain you driver’s licence or ID.
- Phishing* scams are a common way of obtaining information these days.
- There may also be nefarious individuals working at organisations that require your information for legitimate reasons.
- Particularly brazen criminals will contact you directly and impersonate an employee from an organisation pretending to need your details to update their database or process a refund.
- Your credit report:You are allowed one free credit report per year from the credit bureaus, such as Transunion or XDS. moneysmart tip:You should check your credit report every few months to ensure there are no new accounts or judgements which are not your own. Get Your Credit Report Now!
- Your tax statement: If there are any unusual transactions such as refunds or collections you were not expecting, this is cause for concern.
- You bank accounts: Regularly check your bank statements for withdrawals, transfers or stop/debit orders which you haven’t authorised.
- Credit card statements: Always check your credit card statement against your purchases to ensure there are no additional transactions.
Store ID documents in a safe placeand be careful to whom you give copies.
Register lost/stolen ID documents with the SA Fraud Prevention Service +27 11 867 2234, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.safps.org.za
Report lost/stolen bank or store cardsto the relevant institutions immediately. `Check your credit report regularly. You will be able to see if someone opens an account in your name and you can address the issue before you are blacklisted. What should you do if your identity has been stolen?
- Report the fraud to the SA Fraud Prevention Service (Helpline: 0860 101 248)
- Contact the store or company where the account was opened to inform them of the fraud.
- Report the fraud to the police and get a case number.
- Advise a credit bureau of the fraud to ascertain the damage to your credit report and lodge a dispute for investigation.